Peace Awards Program
Fearless Ally Award
"I am cognizant of the interrelatedness of all communities…. Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
- Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
In 2016, the El-Hibri Foundation announced its first-ever Fearless Ally Award. This $5,000 award intends to recognize allies to American Muslim communities who have:
- Demonstrated outstanding courage in challenging Islamophobia by using their power, privilege, and platforms to promote inclusion in the face of significant constraints or personal risk;
- Promoted greater mutual understanding and respect between communities;
- Made significant contributions to promoting the rights and wellbeing of American Muslims;
- And/or whose work as an ally helped to support inclusion, collaboration, and capacity-building with American Muslim communities.
2018 Fearless Ally Award Eligibility and Selection Criteria
Eligible individuals have demonstrated courageous leadership working for the inclusion of American Muslims.
Finalists will be selected based on the following criteria:
- Commitment to reducing Islamophobia: Demonstrated outstanding commitment to and courage in reducing prejudice and discrimination against American Muslims in the face of significant constraints or personal risk;
- Collaboration and partnership-building: Significantly advanced collaboration and inclusive partnerships leading to greater capacity for collective action; and
- Raising understanding and awareness of American Muslim community rights and concerns: Significantly advanced greater understanding and awareness of American Muslim community rights, issues, needs, and concerns in ways that reduce discrimination and promote mutual respect and inclusion.
The Fearless Ally Award is awarded based on a ranking of criteria from nominations received through the online form during the open application period. Members of the Fearless Ally Award Selection Committee include experts in American Muslim community organizing and community building. The selection process may include interviews with references familiar with the nominee’s unique contributions to building partnerships and collaborative communities.
Individuals may nominate themselves or others for this award.
Award winners are announced in the fall and presented at the El-Hibri Foundation's annual Peace Awards Ceremony.
HOW TO APPLY
The nomination process is now closed. The deadline for 2018 nominations was on Monday, April 30, 2018.
Please direct any inquiries to email@example.com.