Peace Awards Program
Fearless Ally Award
"I am cognizant of the interrelatedness of all communities…. Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”
- Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
In 2016, the El-Hibri Foundation was proud to announce its first-ever Fearless Ally Award. This $5,000 award intends to recognize allies to American Muslim communities who have:
- demonstrated outstanding courage in challenging Islamophobia;
- promoted greater mutual understanding and respect between communities;
- made significant contributions to promoting the rights and wellbeing of American Muslims;
- and/or whose work as an ally helped to support inclusion, collaboration and capacity-building with American Muslim communities.
The deadline for nominations was July 31, 2016. The call for nominations for the 2017 Fearless Ally Award will be announced soon.
2016 Fearless Ally Award Eligibility and Selection Criteria
Eligible individuals have demonstrated courageous leadership working for the inclusion of American Muslims.
Only nominations received before July 31, 2016 through the online nomination form for the Fearless Ally Award will be eligible. Individuals may nominate themselves or others for this award.
Finalists will be selected based on the following criteria:
- Commitment to reducing Islamophobia: Individuals who have demonstrated outstanding commitment to and courage in reducing prejudice and discrimination against American Muslims
- Collaboration and partnership-building: Individuals who have significantly advanced collaboration and inclusive partnerships leading to greater capacity for collective action
- Raising understanding and awareness of American Muslim community rights and concerns: Individuals who have significantly advanced greater understanding and awareness of American Muslim community rights, issues, needs and concerns in ways that reduce discrimination and promote mutual respect and inclusion
The Fearless Ally Award is awarded based on a ranking of criteria from nominations received through the online form during the open application period. Members of the El-Hibri Fearless Ally Award Selection Committee include experts in American Muslim community organizing and community building. The selection process may include interviews with references familiar with the nominee’s unique contributions to building partnerships and collaborative communities.
Individuals may nominate themselves or others for this award.
The deadline for nominations was July 31, 2016. The nomination form was only available online during this period.
2016 award winners were announced in the fall of 2016 and presented at the El-Hibri Foundation's annual awards ceremony.
Please direct any inquiries to email@example.com.