Peace Awards Program
Community Builder Award
“Leadership is the practice of accepting responsibility to enable others to achieve shared purpose under conditions of uncertainty.”
- Dr. Marshall Ganz, Harvard Kennedy School
In 2016, the El-Hibri Foundation announced a new $5,000 award to celebrate collaborative leadership within the American Muslim community. These leaders have successfully mobilized American Muslim communities, promoted inclusion, and developed resources and collaborative relationships necessary for catalyzing positive social change. We believe community building is working across difference to foster relationships, trust, and respect in order to build resilience and capacity to solve complex social problems.
The Community Builder Award intends to celebrate and elevate the efforts of those working to transform their communities and improve society. It is designated for early to mid-career American Muslim leaders (typically between the ages of 24 and 40) committed to creating inclusive communities and building capacity for others to create social change.
2018 Community Builder Award Eligibility and Selection Criteria
Nominations will be considered for an early to mid-career US-based American Muslim leader that has demonstrated significant achievements in building inclusive communities and empowering others to act.
Only nominations received before April 30, 2018 through the online nomination form will be eligible. Individuals may nominate themselves or others for this award.
Finalists will be selected based on the following criteria:
- Building community: Demonstrated success in creating spaces to foster relationships, trust, and respect in American Muslim communities;
- Building capacity: Demonstrated success in building capacity, leadership, and institutions with potential for influence in American Muslim communities;
- Advancing diversity and inclusion: Successfully promoted inclusive norms within American Muslim communities; and
- Catalyzing collective impact: Demonstrated outstanding leadership in advancing collaboration, coalition-building, and collective action within American Muslim communities and/or in partnership with allies.
The Community Builder Award is awarded based on a ranking of criteria from nominations received through the online form during the open application period. Members of the Community Builder Award Selection Committee include experts in American Muslim community organizing and community building. The selection process may include interviews with references familiar with the nominee’s unique contributions to building and sustaining inclusive communities.
Award winners are announced in the fall and presented at the El-Hibri Foundation's annual Peace Awards Ceremony.
HOW TO APPLY
The nomination process is now closed. The deadline for 2018 nominations was on Monday, April 30, 2018.
Please direct any inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.